Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Monday, October 1st

My trip is over and yet I feel a whole new one beginning. Before Sept. 10th, I, like the rest of the country, was completely ignorant to a deadly cancer called Neuroblastoma. I didn’t know it killed 80% of its victims. I didn’t know these precious babies suffer through weeks, months and even years of dreadful treatments that make them sick before hopefully making them better. I didn’t know these amazing parents had to hear a doctor say he could help their children if only he had the money. No one would stand for that. Not a doctor, not a politician, not a pharmacist, NO ONE. I pray every night that we find that person who won’t stand for it either. We need someone who wants to see their money working. And you will. If you invest in this campaign you will see returns on that investment you could never see in the stock market. You can go to Sea World and meet Sydney, the dolphin trainer. Once a little girl fighting for her life everyday, now a young woman who accomplished her childhood dream of swimming with dolphins. There can be nothing more fulfilling in life than knowing you saved a child and made her dreams come true.

To Randy, Kevin, Alec, Michael, Vander, Rick and Richard, it is hard to find the words that truly express how blessed I feel to have met you all. I know how lucky I am that this trip kind of fell into my lap. Thank you so much for letting me into your lives. For teaching me how to find a strength within myself I may never have known to exist. I know you heard the word hero a lot on this trip. Know that it was not used lightly. What you did took a courage that you don’t find in many men. It took the strength and bravery of a father determined to protect his young and see that no other parent feels the agony of helplessness.

Heroes.

Love you all, see you soon,
Amy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi-

We were thrilled to be able to spend a bit of time with the whole team in Roanoke and know how much work and emotion you all put into the ride.

The continued marketing of your accomplishment can be aided by an editing of the LR website pages so that the story of the ride has an ending and the ongoing challenge to raise funds and awareness is the new focus.

We know of several reporters in PA who were looking to use the website to obtain the complete story.

Jim and Carol Love

Aalanek said...

Amy and Fathers,

Thank you guys again, for coming to visit Cade, Caden and Bailey at Children's Mercy in Kansas City. Cade will still have a memory about your visit that he has to share with everyone.

Even if this never comes to be, you have been heroes to these munchkins when they needed one.

Thank you for doing this for us and them.

Colby and Cade Stapp